We created Stocktwits to be a place to easily find and share information and ideas around stocks and markets. We encourage a wide range of opinions and strong arguments. We also believe that a respectful, spam-free and on-topic stream creates the most valuable experience for all our users.
To help ensure the best experience, we have developed the following house rules, which defines unacceptable behaviors within the Stocktwits community.
Violations of these rules will lead to the deletion of offending messages and, where deemed necessary, the permanent suspension of your Stocktwits account and a ban from creating additional accounts.
Disagreement and debate about ideas, securities and markets is encouraged within the community, however attacking other members or contributors is not a constructive form of debate. The following behaviors are not permitted:
- Insults & Harassment: You may not send messages that insult or harass another person on Stocktwits.
- Threats: You may not send messages that threaten another person on Stocktwits or anyone.
- Derogatory Language: You may not send messages that are derogatory or racist against a particular group of people on Stocktwits.
- Vulgarity: You should not use vulgarity in a tagged message or within your Stocktwits username or profile.
Stocktwits User Tip
We understand that you may not like someone or something someone says. Instead of sending an abusive message, you can:
- Block: If there is someone you don't like you can block them and never have to see their messages on Stocktwits.
- Flag: If someone is engaging in behavior that appears to be questionable, instead of harassing them on the site, simply flag them and let Stocktwits moderators know, they will act appropriately.
- Respectfully Disagree: If someone is sharing something that you disagree with, it's ok to disagree constructively with what they are saying, but don't attack them personally.
Many members who participate in the Stocktwits community are actively involved in the business of finance and markets. While we encourage participation from everyone, we ask that your actions on the site focus predominantly on sharing ideas and information, not on directly promoting products and services to other members or on trying to draw attention to yourself in ways that are product promotional.
Below are activities that we consider spam.
- Linking to a landing page or sales pitch instead of the idea or content promised in the message is spam.
- Sending unsolicited replies, mentions, or direct messages promoting a paid service or product is spam.
- Tagging a message or link that has little or nothing to do with the $TICKER is spam.
- Posting the same, or very similar, messages or links multiple times is spam.
- Sending messages promoting gains on trades that you did not originally share on Stocktwits is spam.
- Following large numbers of users for the purpose of soliciting follows is spam.
- Liking messages for the purpose of soliciting follows is spam.
It is ok to link to a page that includes an ad to a paid service, email list or other sign-in as long as the primary content on that page and highlighted in the original message is available to all users without having to take any additional action.
- Your first 50 messages are restricted from tagged promotion.
- Promotional content may only make up 10% or less of your posting volume. (1:10 Rule) For ten original posts with no promotion, you are afforded one tagged promotional post.
- Promotional content must include free and informative and/or actionable content.
- You may not manipulate your promotional post.
- You may not coerce other people to promote it for the sake of increased visibility.
Offending posts will be removed and your account may be suspended.
Cheerleading, Bashing, and Manipulation
With any discussion about stocks, it is critical to the community that there be no manipulation or misinformation whether attempting to manipulate or not. We encourage members to disclose positions as part of the discussion.
- Sending messages with the intent of moving a stock.
- Sending repeated overly positive or negative messages about a particular stock without new or substantive information.
- Spreading false rumors about a particular stock or anything else.
- Distributing links to websites known to manipulate stocks.
- You may not impersonate executives of companies. You may not impersonate anyone.
- You may not coerce others to increase the visibility of your post. You may not coerce at all.
- Creating multiple accounts to message about a particular stock, duplicate messages or otherwise violate these House Rules.
Any of these actions may result in suspension.
Other Unacceptable Posting Types
- You may not post nudity of any kind.
- You may not reveal personal information of anyone without their consent.
- Don’t tag political messages. If you want to discuss politics, do not tag it with a cashtag.
Good/Acceptable Uses of Automated accounts
- Leveraging the value of automated posting via Stocktwits API to add the conversation — posting new, breaking, or value-added information across a wide range of tickers, regardless of their popularity.
Bad Uses of Automated Accounts
- Intentionally spamming popular and trending ticker streams
- Posting low value and/or promotional content too frequently
- Posting to intentionally make tickers trend
- Overly promotional content, no matter the frequency
- Posting frequent amount of image attachments to dominate the Chart stream
Q: What qualifies as promotion?
A: Posting a link to a paid site or an advertisement for a product is promotion. Posting a link to content that is behind a paywall is promotion. Posting an allusion to a successful trade from a paid product is promotion.
Q: What qualifies as an “Original Post” for the 1:10 rule?
A: An original post is defined as a post that offers news/information, actionable ideas, journal entry, or entertaining content.
Q: What qualifies as valuable or actionable information?
A: Meaningful content that is informative and/or useful to understanding or decision making..
Q: What qualifies as coercion?
A: If you ask, pay, or otherwise force your following to like or reshare your post.
Q. If I have a question or problem, how do I contact Stocktwits?
A. Email email@example.com.