Advertisement|Remove ads.

Ford Motor Co (F) said on Monday that it has inked a deal with an entity of the French energy giant EDF Group to supply as much as 20 GWh of DC Block battery energy storage systems over five years, in a move applauded by Wall Street.
Under the deal. EDF Power Solutions North America will have the ability to procure up to 4 gigawatt hours (GWh) of DC Block battery energy storage systems annually, the company said. Deliveries under the agreement are slated to start in 2028.
The Ford Energy DC Block is a container-sized battery system that stores 5.45 megawatt-hours of electricity. It uses lithium iron phosphate batteries with liquid cooling and comes in 2- or 4-hour versions to help utilities store renewable energy, balance the grid, and provide backup power.
Morgan Stanley said the announcement reinforces Ford's positioning as a domestic supplier of battery energy storage systems. The firm, which believes "this is the first of potential several large customer announcements this year," called the deal a "first big win for Ford Energy" and kept an ‘Equal Weight’ rating on Ford shares.
RBC Capital, meanwhile, told investors in a research note following the announcement that uncertainties around component sourcing, profitability, and future capacity expansion suggest much of the near-term upside may already be reflected in the stock. The firm has a ‘Sector Perform’ rating and $13 price target on Ford shares.
Ford Energy, Ford Motor Co.’s new battery storage subsidiary, has gone from concept to first major customer with striking speed. Conceived in December 2025 when the automaker decided to repurpose excess EV battery capacity amid scaled-back electric-vehicle plans, the wholly owned unit was formally launched on May 11 with roughly $2 billion in investment and ambitions to produce at least 20 GWh of utility-scale systems annually from a Kentucky plant.
Separately, the automaker unveiled a comeback plan in Europe to launch five new passenger vehicles by 2029, including a Spain-built Bronco SUV, a rally-inspired electric hatchback, an electric compact SUV, and multi-energy crossovers. The push aims to reverse a steep market-share slide — from nearly 9% in 2010 to below 3% last year — and counter surging Chinese rivals like BYD.
The firm also said that it is in talks to supply pickup trucks to the military in the U.S. and Europe.
“We are still in the early stages of this work. While we have not finalized any specific projects in the defense market, the dialogue with governments in North America and Europe remains productive,” the company said.
The firm said in a statement that it can deliver proven, world-class capability to defense and emergency services users far faster and at far lower cost than custom-designed military equipment. The pitch centers on vehicles such as the Ranger Super Duty and the F-series trucks.
On Stocktwits, retail sentiment around Ford stock stayed within the ‘extremely bullish’ territory over the past 24 hours, while message volume remained at ‘extremely high’ levels.
A Stocktwits user expressed optimism for the deal pushing the stock up over $20.
Another user noted that Ford jumped on the energy storage bandwagon as demand for energy rises.
F stock has gained nearly 22% over the past 12 months.
Read More: YSS Stock Takes Off On $355M ALL.SPACE Takeover
For updates and corrections, email newsroom[at]stocktwits[dot]com.